Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Life: Take 32

I had the most lovely weekend, rambling about Savannah, GA with my husband for my birthday. For a more detailed account (and hopefully some pictures) check in with my other blog, The Gypsy Scribe, later on today.

I love birthdays. For me, they are the start of a fresh year. I know, the new year officially starts in January, but I like to think I get my own, personal New Year's party every year on 27 July. It's a time to celebrate, and a time to take stock. I like to spend some time on my birthday to reflect on things I accomplished in the past year and to up my goals from the one's I set in the past. This can be a sobering process as I feel I have very little to show for my time on earth so far.

But I'm feeling pretty good this year. I've got new goals, new dreams. I've got some self imposed deadlines which I'm excited about meeting. I'm going to be busier and more productive. It's a daunting task, this new year, but I'm ready and willing to meet the challenge head on and give it all I've got.

Here's hoping this year out shines the last!
Jen

7 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! I have always wanted to go to Savannah, it sounds like such an interesting city. I hope you had a wonderful celebration. 32 huh? (heavy sigh) Yup, I remember 32.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a bundle, DG. I really appreciate it. Savannah is one of the most amazing places I've ever been (and definitely the most amazing I've ever lived in!) We're hoping to return to the city as residents very soon!

    ~Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again, happy birthday! I'm glad to hear you had a good time, and I'm excited to see how those goals progress.

    Your birthday, just by the way, falls on my half-birthday, and you've inspired me to make some small side goals to celebrate. :)

    I'll stop by the other blog because I'm curious to read more.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday! I like the way you see birthdays, as the beginning of a new year. I think I'll start doing the same with mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Weronika: Happy half-birthday to you :) I'm glad I was able to inspire you. I've been viewing birthdays as "new years" for only a few years now, but it helps keep things in perspective for me.

    Ratty: Thanks a bunch! It's a novel way of approaching birthdays, I know, but I got so tired of people bemoaning the facts of getting older. I'm happy to get older! It means I'm still alive! And I love the opportunity to reevaluate my life and give myself a progress report of sorts!

    ~Jen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday, pally!! I like your outlook on your special day--a personal New Year's Day. I never thought of it that way. I sort of let the day pass and don't really like a lot of fuss--perhaps I will re-think it and approach it like you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Lin!
    It's an interesting take on birthdays, for sure. It gives me something to look forward to (and if I'm feeling down about my self and my life, it give me a fresh starting point to get back on track!).

    ~Jen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I look forward to reading your comments. Do stop back by often for I will respond to your comments here :)