Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cream Pies

*drum roll please*

Ta-da! Here's my published recipe for Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cream Pies. I will warn you that these are very addictive and I've had friends eat themselves sick because they were unable to stop putting hand to mouth. Of course, that may be a lack of self control on their part, but I like to think it's all a part of my plot to take over the world, one cookie at a time!

I've always loved oatmeal cream pies. When I was a kid, my favorite snack cake was those little pies that came wrapped in plastic in a long white box with the words "Little" and "Debbie" written in blue down the side. One day, while perusing through my cookbook collection, I had an idea. What if I took oatmeal cream pies and added a bit of chocolate chips to them? The result? The Queen of cookies!

What you'll need:

1-1/4 c. butter, softened 1-1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. brown sugar, firmly packed 1 t. baking soda
1/2 c. sugar 1/2 t. salt
1 egg 1/4 t. cinnamon (though no one will mind if you put more!)
1 t. vanilla extract 3 c. quick-cooking oats, uncooked
1 t. rum or rum extract 12-oz. package of semi-sweet chocolate chips

Beat butter and sugars together with a hand mixer until creamy. Add your egg, vanilla and rum. Beat until incorporated. Whisk together your flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl. Stir in the oats and chocolate chips. Add your dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until well blended (a wooden spoon works great for this!). Drop dough by rounded tablespoonful (or heaping handful) two inches apart on parchment lined or well greased baking sheets. Bake at 375 degrees for about 8 minutes. I like my cookies gooey. If you like a more crunchy cookie, bake a few minutes longer. Set aside to cool.

While your cookies are cooling, whip up your cream filling!

1/2 c. butter, softened
2 c. powdered sugar
1 to 2 T. whipping cream
1/2 t. vanilla extract
1/2 t. rum or rum extract

With your electric mixer on medium speed, combine all your ingredients until well blended. Increase mixer speed to high and beat until fluffy. Cream will be nice and thick and gooey. Yum!

Start with a tablespoon of cream for each cream pie. You can always add more if there's extra in the bowl. Or, like me, you can just take the bowl and a big spoon and eat any extra. Come on; you've earned it!

Cheers!
Jen

PS: you can find the cookbook version in the Gooseberry Patch cookbook, Christmas with Family and Friends

1 comment:

Thanks for visiting! I look forward to reading your comments. Do stop back by often for I will respond to your comments here :)