Friday, October 9, 2009

Commonplace

Commonplace Book: (n) a book in which noteworthy quotations, comments, etc. are written.

My Thursday posts (um...Friday?!) are intended to be just that. Little vignettes (snippets if you will) of seasonal delights for your enjoyment.

October

Autumn Ingredients for Fall Recipes ~ From the Farm Stand

One of the first things I enjoy doing when the weather starts to get a wee bit cooler is to stop by a local produce stand. The deep colors of pumpkins and squash, the aroma of cider and boiled peanuts wafting to your nostrils as soon as you step out of your car...there's no way you can't help but smile! Potted mums sit atop hay bales, scarecrows with humorous grins slouch in rocking chairs, stuffed ravens clinging to their shoulders. I ooh and ahh at the gourds, deliberate between types of apples, and always (ALWAYS) find a way to carry home a bag of boiled peanuts (a sacred and necessary vegetable here in the South). Indian corn stands in rows of maroon, black, yellow and white and I'm in the mood for fall! Once I'm home, my arms laden with brown paper bags, the fun begins in figuring out just what on earth to do with all this bounty. Here's a few ideas I've gathered ~

Apples ~ baked, fried, sauced with cinnamon, heated in a cider, as a side dish with pork and, of course, in a pie

Squash ~ stuffed into ravioli, baked with butter and brown sugar

Root Veggies ~ parsnips with herb butter, herb roasted chicken with a variety of root veg (carrots, potatoes)

Hearty Greens ~ broccoli, chard, bruschetta topped with spinach or collards

Potatoes ~ baked, fried, champ, bubble and squeak, au gratin, potato salad, pan roasted with rosemary and sea salt, french fries, hash browns, basting in the juice of a succulent roast

Pears ~ baked with cinnamon and brown sugar, poached, stuffed with a bitter cheese such as Gorgonzola, caramelized, raw with a selection of cheeses, along side crisp apples, part of an impromptu smorgasbord of fruits, cheese and wine

Speaking of cider, here's an interesting idea. Have a go at making Lambswool. I promise, no carding, spinning or knitting is required. Lambswool is a special type of wassail (a spiced punch usually made with liquor) which combines roasted apples, raw sugar, grated nutmeg, and shaved ginger with warm, strong ale and served with tiny sweet-cakes floating on its surface. I'm a sucker for cider but I have yet to try this one. It's an old recipe but sounds like just the thing to warm your spirits on a chilly autumn night. I for one would forgo the floating cakes; I hate soggy bread!

Lambswool was usually drunk on 01 November in celebration of the fruits and seeds of the harvest and the spirits which, the ancients believed, watched over them. Sounds like a good libation for a Halloween party, no? This day, known by other names such as All Saints Day and Samhain, was known as "la mas ubal" (pronounced "lamasool" and later "lambswool") which means "The Day of the Apple".

I know we're a month away from "la mas ubal" but there's no harm in brewing up a good old cauldron of Lambswool for all your autumn celebrations. Give it a try this fall, but remember: drink responsibly and you can always do an unleaded version by leaving out the ale. I for one would like to try it both ways. Let me know if you make some! I'm curious :) The closest I've come to having Lambswool was a Hot Toddy in Ireland. Talk about cider with a kick! If that doesn't cure what ails you, I don't know what will.

Have a wonderful weekend, Jen

PS: I just posted the first of a series of posts on Halloween over at my other blog, The Gypsy Scribe. Stop by and take a peak :)

11 comments:

  1. I love all the "goodies" ideas, and they are all so delicious. Though the bag of boiled peanuts would be so great to have right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hubby brought me a bag of boiled Peanuts a few days ago. We had a discussion as to WHY you cannot stop eating them once you start? That Cider does sound good doesn't it? I love fresh hot Cider! :) Have a great weekend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I long for that ceremonial rite of passage, the first bag of boiled peanuts of Autumn. Still waiting for mine!

    Carol: I have a theory. I think they boil them in liquor. It's the only resonable explanation. That way, you're a peanut alcoholic and on't even know it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The lambswool drink sounds wonderful! Goodness, I think I must be the only Southerner who doesn't like boiled peanuts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lambswool sounds delightful. I agree, no floating cake!

    ReplyDelete
  6. people are going crazy with the fall recipes and i am loving it! love this time of year! thanks for becoming a follower of mine a while back, and now i am following you back too! sorry it took so long!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooh, I'm all about the Lambswool! Sounds very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thistle Cove: I actually hated boiled peanuts for years simply because my dad would make them and they stunk up the whole house! Now, I'm addicted, especially when people make them hot and spicy :)

    SPEAKING: No worries! Welcome aboard :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmmm... Now I'm hungry. And all I could think about when you mentioned what to do with potatoes was the "taters" scene in The Two Towers... "What's taters, precious?" Looks like I'll have to watch the rest of that one soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew!...You're hopeless." :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What wonderful ideas. I miss boiled peanuts. No Northerner even knows what they are :(

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I look forward to reading your comments. Do stop back by often for I will respond to your comments here :)