Thursday, December 10, 2009

Snow

I see a pattern (dare I say a theme?) amongst blogs today. Snow. Theme Thursday is not something I've participated in before, but in the spirit of the season, I wanted to post something about snow.


I love snow. I'm a Georgia girl. We love snow. We have romanticized ideas of snow, from Dicken's England to the Colorado Rockies. A few flakes and the coats, hats, gloves, pizza pans come out. (Pizza pans? If you have to ask, you're not from the south .Why, a good, old fashioned, metal, round pizza pan makes and excellent sled. It's not like we southerners have THOSE lying about in the garage!).

My ideas of snow, my memories of snow are clouded and mixed with fantasy. Instead of waxing long and poetic, I thought I'd let Archibald Lampman do so for me:

White are the far-off plains, and white
The fading forests grow;
The wind dies out along the height,
And denser still the snow,
A gathering weight on roof and tree,
Falls down scarce audibly.

The road before me smooths and fills
Apace, and all about
The fences dwindle, and the hills
Are blotted slowly out;
The naked trees loom spectrally
Into the dim white sky.

The meadows and far-sheeted streams
Lie still without a sound;
Like some soft minister of dreams
The snow-fall hoods me round;
In wood and water, earth and air,
A silence everywhere.

Save when at lonely intervals
Some farmer's sleigh, urged on,
With rustling runners and sharp bells,
Swings by me and is gone;
Or from the empty waste I hear
A sound remote and clear;

The barking of a dog, or call
To cattle, sharply pealed,
Borne echoing from some wayside stall
Or barnyard far a-field;
Then all is silent, and the snow
Falls, settling soft and slow.

The evening deepens, and the gray
Folds closer earth and sky;
The world seems shrouded far away;
Its noises sleep, and I,
As secret as yon buried stream,
Plod dumbly on, and dream.

This is one of my favorite poems and I was introduced to it by the ethereal music of Loreena McKennit. Go HERE to hear this beautiful version accompanied by some beautiful images. I tried to embed the video, but apparently my computer doth protest too much!

Happy Thursday,
Jen

7 comments:

  1. I don't think Marmot ever did pizza pans, because I had to teach him how to sled down a hill (with a real sled!) his first winter up here! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. We haven't had a good snow in years. Perhaps it's about time! C'mon Georgia weather! You can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a lovely, romantic view of snow that no northeastern resident can muster. It's nice to revel in your enjoyment of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jen...I loved the music and the images in the video. I am passing it along to my daughters. As you well know there is something so very magical about snow. ~jermaine~

    ReplyDelete
  5. How beautiful. I was so homesick when the first snow started falling in Vermont but I'm okay now. There is something so magical about a world cloaked in snow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful verse...love it! i so want snow! the weatherman keeps teasing us with it....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love snow and the poem! If only it wasn't so darned cold. Brrrrr.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I look forward to reading your comments. Do stop back by often for I will respond to your comments here :)